Certified Farmers' Market Marketing Tips
- Quality counts. Never let your produce sit in the field.
- Quantity sells. One overflowing crate often outsells five half-full crates.
- Use wet burlap sacks behind the counter to cool heat-resistant summer vegetables.
- Post signs asking customers to bring in excess plastic/paper bags.
- Display photos of your farm and family, recipe cards, pricing information, and your certified producer's certificate.
- Be prepared for the first rush of shoppers. Have 25 percent or more of your load ready to be sold (bagged if necessary) when the market opens.
- Choose your shade or umbrella color carefully. A blue covering makes peaches look green.
- Develop employee training.
- Avoid displaying food items on the ground.
- Participate in market promotion activities.
(Tips contributed by farmers, farmers' market managers, and Southland Farmers' Market Association for their complete listing.)