Ramiro Lobo: SFP Advisor, San Diego County
UC Cooperative Extension, San Diego County
151 E. Carmel Street
San Marcos, CA 92078
fax: (760) 752-4725
Key Research Projects/Interests
- Market development through agricultural tourism, direct marketing and value added products; regional branding; and Internet marketing
- New entry grower education
- New or Specialty Crop/Enterprise Development
- IPM alternatives and pesticide safety for small scale operators
- Farm business management, risk management education and decision systems for small farmers
Extension Educational Outreach Projects
- Harvesting New Opportunities: A large number of Cooperative Extension and outreach efforts have been devoted to the implementation of this strategic plan, including:
- "San Diego Grown,"a regional branding campaign focusing on the promotion and marketing of agricultural tourism and locally grown products on the Internet
- Identification, development and promotion of value added and direct marketing opportunities for small farmers
- Harvesting Opportunities seminar series
- New Entry Grower Education and New or Specialty Crop/Enterprise Development
- Farm Business Management, Risk Management Education and Decision Systems for Small Farmers
- IPM Alternatives and Pesticide Safety for Small Scale Operators
Collaborative or Other Special Projects
- County Planning and Development Code Constraints and Opportunities for Agricultural and Nature Based Tourism
- Ellie Rilla, farm advisor, UCCE Marin County, Principal Investigator
- Holly George, farm advisorUCCE Plumas/Sierra Counties
- Laura Tourte, farm advisor, UCCE Santa Cruz County
- Marita Cantwell, interim director, UC Small Farm Program
- Al Sokolow, public policy specialist, UC Davis
- George Goldman, agricultural economics specialist, UC Berkeley
- Harvesting New Opportunities and "San Diego Grown," a regional branding campaign focusing on the promotion and marketing of agricultural tourism and locally grown products on the Internet
- Carole Enmark, executive director, Small Business Development Center, North San Diego County
- Eric Larson, executive director, San Diego County Farm Bureau
- Al Stehly, chair, San Diego County Agricultural Advisory Board
- Lychee and Longan Research and Development
- Mark Gaskell, farm advisor, UCCE San Luis Obispo/Santa Barbara counties, co-principal investigator
- Ben Faber, farm advisor, UCCE Ventura County, Co-Principal Investigator
- Gary Bender, farm advisor, UCCE San Diego County
- Offseason Fresh Market Blueberry Production
- Gary Bender, farm advisor, UCCE San Diego County
- Mark Gaskell, farm advisor, UCCE San Luis Obispo/Santa Barbara counties
Printed copies are available from the Small Farm Center at (530) 752-8136. Contact Ramiro Lobo directly with questions regarding additional publications.
- Sample Costs to Establish and Produce Protea (lead author, San Diego County, 2007)
Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Lobo, R.E., G.E. Goldman, D.A. Jolly, B.D. Wallace, W.L. Schrader and S.A. Parker. (1999)
"Agricultural Tourism Benefits Agriculture in San Diego County." California Agriculture. Volume 53, Number 6. November-December, 1999.
Visit the California Agriculture Magazine web page for an article synopsis or to subscribe.
Non-Peer Reviewed and Poster Presentations:
- Lobo R.E., D.A. Jolly, B.D. Wallace and S.A. Parker. "A Look at Certified Farmers Markets Consumer Attitudes and Willingness to Support Locally Grown Agricultural Products in San Diego County." 1999. County Publication and Poster presented at the Second National Small Farm Conference in Saint Louis, Missouri.
- Lobo, R.E. (Editor) (2000) "Harvesting New Opportunities: A Strategic Plan for San Diego Agriculture." Report Developed by the San Diego County Agricultural Steering Committee. January 2000.
- Lobo, R.E., W.L. Schrader, B.D. Wallace, K.L. Robb and S.A. Parker. (1999)
"San Diego County Agricultural Directory and Guidelines for Agricultural Enterprises." UC Cooperative Extension, San Diego County Farm and Home Advisor's Office.
- Wilen, C.A., R.E. Lobo, W.A. Schrader and S.A. Parker. (1999). "Evaluating Chemical and Non-Chemical Control Methods to Control Yellow Nutsedge." Poster Presented at the CAPCA Annual Conference. Anaheim, CA.
- Lobo, R.E. and S.A. Parker. (1999). "Agricultural Tourism in San Diego County: A Look at the Consumers." UC Cooperative Extension, San Diego County. San Diego, CA.
- Lobo, R.E. (1999)."San Diego County Agriculture: An Overview." UC Cooperative Extension, San Diego County. San Diego, CA.
- Lobo, R.E. and S.A. Parker. (1999). "Summary of Permits, Regulations and Sources of Information for Agricultural Enterprises." 1999. UC Cooperative Extension, Sam Diego County. San Diego, CA.
- Lobo, R.E. and G.S. Bender. (1998). "Directory of Fruit and Vegetable Brokers, Packers, Processors and Shippers in San Diego County." UC Cooperative Extension, San Diego County Farm and Home Advisor's Office. San Diego, CA.
- Lobo, R.E. and G.S. Bender. (1998). "Directory of Grove Management Services in San Diego County." UC Cooperative Extension, San Diego County Farm and Home Advisor's Office. San Diego, CA.
Newsletters and Newsletter Articles:
Languages spoken, links to recommended web pages, etc.):
- Fluent in Spanish (native language) and some Italian
- Recommended web pages:
- Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas
- California Department of Food and Agriculture
- Fruits: Farmer's Bookshelf
- UC Fruit/Nut Research and Information Center
- UC IPM Online
- UC Postharvest Technology Research & Information Center
- UC Vegetable Research and Information Center (VRIC)
- USDA Agricultural Marketing Service
Back to Small Farm Program Advisors