Small Farm Program Overview
We are guided and motivated by a vision of a thriving, viable California agriculture that has a diversity of small- and moderate-scale farms that remain profitable, enhance the environment, enrich our culture, and improve the quality of life for both producers and consumers.
Our mission is to promote such a community by conducting applied research and outreach programs for the successful adoption, management and marketing of potentially profitable crops and enterprises
Our goal is to continue improving our areas of expertise, expanding our range of competence and focus, and serving our various stakeholders-farmers, marketing managers, the University, the USDA and policymakers, our staff and other educators and researchers-through our applied research and education programs.
If you would like to talk a farm advisor or staff member who works for the Small Farm Program, please see our About Us for contact information. If you would like to talk to a farm advisor in your county who is also interested in working with small-scale farmers, please browse our extended contact list.
We develop field and marketing research aimed at the needs of small- and moderate-scale farmers, and provide that information to farmers who are often not reached by traditional extension programs. Our clients include farmers of many different cultures who operate a wide variety of farming operations, often with limited resources.
We are part of the University of California's division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. The Small Farm Program was created in 1979 by an act of the California legislature.
The Small Farm Program consists of:
- Small Farm Advisors: Located in various California counties as part of UC Cooperative Extension, advisors conduct research and interact with farmers directly
- Small Farm Workgroup: To further broaden the program's research scope, staff members work regularly with other farm advisors, faculty, specialists and interested professionals
- Small Farm Program Advisory Board: The Advisory Board represents California's diverse small farming community, providing invaluable input into program priorities and activities
History of the program
- 2007-2008 Annual Report is a brief summary of the efforts of the program.
- 2006-2007 Annual Report explores in more detail projects in most of our major program areas.
- The First Fifteen Years traces the early history of the Small Farm Program, published in 1990.
- Blueberry Day Video examines the Small Farm Program via our work with blueberries, from May 2008.
- Pedro Ilic Awards were presented from 1996 - 2012 to an outstanding farmer and an outstanding agricultural educator.
- Small is bountiful: A special report on small farms An issue of the California Agriculture journal devoted to topics related to small farms. Published 1993.
- Small Farms: Stories of Success and Struggle A special section in California Agriculture celebrated the Small Farm Center's 20-year anniversary. Published in 1999.