2012 California Small Farm Conference
"Cultivating the next generation" was the theme for the 2012 conference, March 4 – 6 in Valencia. The conference included day-long field courses and 25 workshops. View the conference website for more information.
Below are PDF copies of some PowerPoint presentations given by faculty and staff from throughout the University of Calfiornia, during the conference.
- ABC’s of starting a new farm (0.7 MB)
Handout: Business and Market Plans: An Overview
– Laura Tourte, UC Cooperative Extension advisor in Santa Cruz County
- Invasive Pests: The spotted wing drosophila, the badraga bug, Asian citrus psyllid and others (22 MB)
– James Bethke, UC Cooperative Extension advisor in San Diego County
- Innovative technologies that can be used on the farm (8.6 MB)
– Oleg Daugovish, UC Cooperative Extension advisor in Ventura County (presented by)
– Andre Biscaro, UC Cooperative Extension advisor in Los Angeles and San Bernadino (created by)
- How to detect snake oil: False claims, bogus products and horticultural myths (8.3 MB)
– Jim Downer, UC Cooperative Extension advisor in Ventura County
- Organic certification and integrity (1.1 MB)
– Karen Klonsky, UC Cooperative Extension specialist in the department of Agricultural Resource and Economics at UC Davis
- Living with water limitations (6.6 MB)
– Larry Schwankl, UC Cooperative Extension specialist at Kearney Agricultural Research and Extension Center, irrigation
Presentations from UC experts at the conference addressed food safety, starting a new farm, agritourism, new technologies, farming with limited water, how to recognize snake-oil products<, pests, organic certification and integrity, and risk management. We will continue to update this page as more presentations become available to us.
Pedro Ilic Awards
The Pedro Ilic Award for Outstanding Agricultural Educator was presented to Paul Vossen, UC Cooperative Extension advisor in Sonoma and Marin counties. For more about his award, read the full announcement.
Find out more about the Pedro Ilic Awards.
The 2013 California Small Farm Conference will be held March 10-12 in Fresno. See you then!