Organic Production and Marketing
"Organic" is a marketing label and accompanying set of production practices that is regulated by USDA, and certified by various organizations. Many small-scale farmers have found a valuable niche in growing and selling organic products.
Organic vegetable production
The following seven publications (PDFs) are part of the peer-reviewed University of California Organic Vegetable Production series.
- Organic Certification, Farm Production Planning, and Marketing
- Soil Management and Soil Quality for Organic Crops
- Soil Fertility Management for Organic Crops
- Weed Management for Organic Crops
- Insect Pest Management for Organic Crops
- Plant Disease Management for Organic Crops
- Postharvest Handling of Organic Crops
Organic marketing & business
- Business and Market Plans: An Overview with Considerations for Organic Operations (PDF)
Tips for creating a business plan for organic farmers, by UC farm advisors Laura Tourte and Mark Gaskell.
- Consumer Profiles of Buyers and Non-Buyers of Organic Produce